Thursday, January 14, 2010

Travel Tuesday: Hotel Palazzina Grassi designed by Philippe Starck

Iconic French designer Philippe Starck's new Italian hotel project - The Palazzina Grassi - has opened and we've gotten a sneak peak into this palace of sparkling mirrors and glass. Located along the Grand Canal the building's shell dates to the 16th century, in which generations of noble and "haute-bourgeois" families lived. Mr. Starck has incorporated loads of murano glass chandis, Ventian mirrors and a few touches of Italian design icon Piero Fornasetti. This hotel is seriously romantic and sexy.



The goal of the hotel is to give its patrons the most Venetian experience it can. Check in happens on the 1960's Celli boat that brings you right to the private hotel dock. Check-in happens on the boat and there is not hotel "desk" in the lobby.

Breakfast can be served at any time of day and anywhere in the hotel. I'd truly never leave!





The whitewashed beamed ceilings ad a rustic counterpoint to the slick mirrors and Starck's signature aluminum furniture. The rooms range from a small 215 sq. ft. (approx. 15'x15') to a large 750 sq. ft.(approx. 35'x20'). Prices range from approximately $420 to $1,310. Not budget, but maybe for a splurge?









The masks are a signature design element in the hotel - very Carnevale de Venizia.



Note the spectacular Venetian mirrors mounted on the glass walls, or perhaps they are mirrored walls? It's hard to tell!


The hotel restaurant is filled with spectacular Murano glass chandeliers and artworks by Aristide Najean.

Doesn't this chandi look like a mass of seaweed and coral? The fish bone rug adds a touch of whimsy and humor.




Can you just imagine sinking into these lush sofas and the dark and romantic atmosphere, sipping a little grappa?




The hallways are lit in different dark and gorgeous colors.


Boo.


I've never been to Venice, have you? This one is on my list!

When the fisrt time I read this blog I am very much inspired, Yeah I never been to Venice also, with your list I am forcing my self to go and vicit Venice maybe not this year but I will. I'll gonna post my pics when I got there...thanks for your post.CHEERS!

No comments:

Post a Comment